Over the past half-decade, India’s semiconductor and wireless communication landscape has undergone aggressive expansion, with startups and established industry giants alike making significant strides. The opening of new development centers by global leaders and the disruption of incumbents by new entrants through frugal innovation have become common occurrences in India’s technology landscape post-COVID. Fueled by security and reliability concerns, the global geopolitical shift has highlighted the embedded electronics industry’s need for a secondary supply chain. India is well-positioned to capitalize on this trend and emerge as a dominant player in the global embedded electronics value chain over the next decade. The presence of multinational semiconductor companies, a strong focus on research and development, robust manufacturing capabilities, and the rapid evolution of wireless technologies all contribute to India’s growing prominence in these critical sectors. Collaboration between industry players, research institutions, and government support has further advanced India’s position in the semiconductor and wireless communication domains.
Within this comprehensive endeavor, the semiconductor sector occupies a central position, contributing not only to economic growth but also to the advancement of cutting-edge technology and fostering self-reliance. India’s burgeoning influence in the semiconductor landscape represents a testament to its enduring dedication to innovation, technology-driven growth, and the aspirations of becoming a global powerhouse in the semiconductor and electronics industry. This multifaceted progress, built on collaboration, investment, and research and development, strengthens India’s position on the global semiconductor map.
Additionally, the global wireless connectivity market, valued at USD 71.60 billion in 2022, is projected to reach approximately USD 219.86 billion by 2030, with an expected CAGR of around 15.06% from 2023 to 2030. Valued at $34.43 billion in 2023, India’s semiconductor market is poised for robust growth, with a CAGR of 24.32%. This growth is driven by increasing consumer demand for electronic products in daily life and government initiatives aimed at promoting electronic manufacturing.
Here are five companies instrumental in transforming India’s wireless communication landscape, highlighting the country’s rising prominence in the semiconductor industry:
● Tata Elxsi: Tata Elxsi offers semiconductor design and testing services. It specializes in providing hardware and software solutions for the design and verification of semiconductor products. These services are crucial in the development of integrated circuits, system-on-chip (SoC) designs, and other semiconductor components. It plays a role in fostering the growth and innovation of the semiconductor and wireless communication sectors within the country
● HCL Technologies: HCL Technologies provides IT services to semiconductor and wireless communication companies. These services include application development, IT infrastructure management, and digital transformation. This aids these companies in staying competitive and improving their operations. It has a global presence and works with clients worldwide, including semiconductor and wireless communication companies. This contributes to India’s standing in these industries by showcasing the capabilities of Indian IT and engineering firms.
● Cavli Wireless: Cavli Wireless is revolutionizing IoT with its advanced eSIM-integrated modules and the Cavli Hubble platform, which offer seamless management of global LTE, GNSS, LPWAN, and 5G network connectivity. Embracing the ‘Made in India, For the World’ ethos, Cavli champions Indian manufacturing and serves an international clientele, reinforcing India’s stature in the global semiconductor market. Cavli enhances user experiences by empowering manufacturers to overcome device connectivity complexities through strategic partnerships with global cellular networks.
● Moschip: Moschip specializes in semiconductor design services. They provide solutions for ASIC (Application-Specific Integrated Circuit) design, FPGA (Field-Programmable Gate Array) design, and other semiconductor components. Their expertise in semiconductor design contributes to India’s capabilities in chip design and development. Moschip’s capabilities in semiconductor design and wireless communication solutions, as well as its commitment to research and innovation, make it a significant player in these industries in India.
● Sankhya Labs: It is a prominent Indian company that has made significant contributions to both the semiconductor and wireless communication landscapes in India. Sankhya Labs’ activities align with the Indian government’s “Make in India” initiative, which encourages domestic innovation and manufacturing. Their work in semiconductor technology and wireless communication contributes to these goals. Its innovative solutions, especially in the area of software-defined radio and wireless communication, have positioned them as a key player in India’s semiconductor and wireless communication landscape.
India has a vibrant startup ecosystem focusing on wireless communication technologies. These startups are working on solutions related to wireless communication, including wireless networking, IoT, and mobile applications. They are driving innovation and contributing to India’s prominence in wireless technology.