Akhilesh Yadav became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh (UP) on March 15, 2012. He is a member of the Samajwadi Party (SP), which is led by his father, Mulayam Singh Yadav. Since the time Akhilesh has assumed office of the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, he has focused exclusively on the State’s development, which includes improvement of various sectors such as the State’s economy, administration, law & order, education, health services, public works, infrastructure, water &electricity, employment, agriculture, industrial development, etc. Akhilesh Yadav can be credited with launching a development-oriented program in UP. This is a pioneering initiative since the State’s political landscape has earlier been driven mainly by caste politics. Akhilesh Yadav does follow the socialistic values of his party, but he has also introduced his visionary development agenda that aims for the welfare of all.
Early life & education
Akhilesh Yadav was born in Saifai on July 1, 1973, to Mulayam Singh Yadav and Malti Devi. Saifai is a village in the Etawah District of Uttar Pradesh. Akhilesh Yadav completed his Bachelor of Engineering degree from the University of Mysore, Karnataka. He married Dimple Yadav on November 24, 1999.
Akhilesh Yadav has worked as an agriculturist, engineer, and political & social worker for many years. Some of his special interests include helping the poor and fighting corruption.
- 2000: Elected to the 13th Lok Sabha from Kannauj in a by-election in 2000. He was also a member of the Committee on Food, Civil Supplies, and Public Distribution
- 2000-2001: Member of the Committee on Ethics
- 2004-2009: Elected as a member of the 14th Lok Sabha for a second term. He was at times a member of the following committees: Committee on Urban Development, Committee on Provision of Computers for various departments, Committee on Science and Technology, and Committee on Environment and Forests. He was elected to the 15th Lok Sabha for a third term in 2009
- 2009-2012: Member of the Committee on Environment and Forests, Committee on Science and Technology
- March 10, 2012: Appointed as leader of the Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradesh
- March 15, 2012: At the age of 38 years, he became the youngest Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh
- May 3, 2012: Resigned from the Kannauj seat to further serve as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh
- May 5, 2012: Became a Member of the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council
Akhilesh Yadav likes to read, listen to music and watch films in his spare time. He has special interest in football and to some degree, in cricket as well.