Pakauri Lal Kol is an Indian politician and a Member of Parliament (MP) from the Lok Sabha constituency of Robertsganj in the state of Uttar Pradesh. Lal is a member of Apna Dal (Sonelal). Earlier, he was with Samajwadi Party (SP) and had won from Robertsganj in 2009. He had contested in 2014 general election also, but had come third. Robertsganj Lok Sabha constituency comprises of five assembly constituencies – Chakia, Ghorawal, Robertsganj, Obra and Duddhi.
In 2019, Pakauri Lal Kol switched sides to Apna Dal and contested the general election. Apna Dal is part of National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and has the support of Bharatiya Janata Party. Lal defeated his nearest rival Bhai Lal of Samajwadi Party by a margin of more than 50k votes. It was a tough election, as opposition parties including SP and Bahujan Samajwadi Party (BSP) had fought the elections together under ‘mahagathbandhan’ banner. Their primary objective was to keep BJP out of power.
Throughout his political career, Lal has focused on the welfare of laborers and farmers. He has also worked to remove corruption from society, especially the type of corruption that affects the poor and marginalized sections of the society.
Early Life and Education
Pakauri Lal Kol was born on July 02, 1952 to Shri Jugnu and Smt. Munraji Devi. He was born in Pateherakala, which is located in Mirzapur, Uttar Pradesh. Since education system was underdeveloped at that time and there was widespread poverty, Lal could not complete his schooling till matriculation. In 1971, Lal married Panna Devi. By profession, Lal is an agriculturist.
Pakauri Lal’s first major win in his political career came in 2002, when he won from Chhanbey assembly seat in Uttar Pradesh. At that time, he was with Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP). He had defeated his nearest rival Bhagawati Prasad of SP by a comfortable margin.
- 2002-03: Member, Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly
- 2009: Elected to 15th Lok Sabha
- 31 Aug. 2009: Member, Committee on Industry
- 23 Sep. 2009: Member, Committee on Papers Laid on the Table; Member, Consultative Committee on Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises
- 31 August 2011-30 August 2012: Member, Committee on Coal & Steel
- May, 2019: Re-elected to 17th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 13 Sept. 2019 -12 Sept. 2020: Member, Standing Committee on External Affairs
- 13 Sept. 2020 onwards: Member, Standing Committee on Chemical & Fertilizers
In his free time, Pakauri Lal Kol likes to read and write. In sports, he likes cricket, kabaddi and wresting.