S.P. Singh Baghel is an Indian politician and a Member of Parliament (MP) from the Lok Sabha constituency of Agra in the state of Uttar Pradesh. Baghel is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). In the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, Prof. S.P. Singh Baghel defeated his nearest rival Manoj Kumar Soni of Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) by a margin of more than 2 lakh votes. Prior to winning in 2019 Lok Sabha, Baghel has been an MP three times earlier also in 1998, 1999, and 2004. Throughout his political career, Baghel has worked for betterment of farmers. He has been associated with various projects that seek to improve the social life and work conditions of farmers and other marginalized communities.
Early Life and Education
S.P. Singh Baghel was born on June 21, 1960 to Shri Rambhrose Singh and Smt. Ram Shree Devi. He was born in Bhatpura, P.O. Umari located in Etawah district of Uttar Pradesh. Baghel is a highly qualified individual, having completed his M.Sc., LL.B.,and Ph.D. He received education at institutions such as Maharaja Jiyaji Rao University, Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh) and Meerut University, Meerut (Uttar Pradesh). On November 30, 1989, Baghel married Madhu Singh.
- 1998:Elected to 12th Lok Sabha
- 1998-99: Member, Committee on Subordinate Legislation; Member, Committee on Human Resource Development; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- 1999: Re-elected to 13th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 1999-2000: Member, Committee on Food, Civil Supplies and Public Distribution; Member, Committee on Estimates
- 2000-2004: Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Home Affairs; Member, Committee on Public Undertaking
- 2004: Re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha( 3rd term) – Member, Committee on External Affairs; Member, Committee on Absence of Members from the sittings of the House
- 7 Aug. 2006-onwards: Member, Committee on Absence of Members from the Sittings of the House
- 5 Aug. 2007 onwards: Member, Standing Committee on External Affairs
- May, 2019: Re-elected to 17th Lok Sabha (4th term)
S.P. Singh Baghel has interests in participating in drama competitions, listening to Indian music, reading literary books and writing poems. In sports, he likes cricket, volleyball and shooting.