Coronaviruses belong to an enormous family of viruses that are mainly found in different animal species that include the cattle, bats, and camels as well. A unique strain of the Coronavirus has been identified that is resulting in severe respiratory illness in human beings. This strain was first located in Wuhan, China. The World Health Organization addressed the virus, causing disease as COVID-19 on 11th of February, 2020.
Many people have been seeking alternative methods of curing COVID-19 or adapting preventive measures for the same. Some of these remedies involve the drinking of herbal teas and practising herbal treatments. However, no specific scientific proof has been gathered to support this particular remedies helping with Coronavirus treatment. As a matter of fact, some of these so-called remedies going viral might not be safe for consumption.
Read on this article to find out if there are any alternative medicines discovered or not.
Some preventive measures to take:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has put up with some of the preventive measures that you can try to remain at least safe from being affected by the disease.
- Make sure to wash your hands with soaps or handwash, preferably for at least 20 seconds. This should be done after you have used the bathroom before you are about to eat after you have coughed, sneezed, or blown your nose
- If you cannot find soap and water at your immediate disposal, you can always carry alcohol-based sanitizers containing at least 60% alcohol.
- Altogether avoid touching your nose, eyes, or mouth with unwashed and unclean hands
- Maintain a distance from people who are sick
- Preferably not leaving your home when you are sick is advisable
- Make sure to cover your sneeze and cough with a kerchief or tissue
- Frequently touched things should be cleaned regularly
Seeking for alternative medicines:
China has started experimenting on a variety of drugs and chemicals to come up with an alternative to treat the disease. Reports about the database prepared by the biomedical students in China have listed a few investigations among various other controlled therapies, traditional medicines, and experimental procedures. All of these treatments are varying in the amount of evidence to prove their efficacy.
The two HIV drugs that block the enzymes, which the viruses require to replicate have managed to reduce the levels of coronaviruses resulting in SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) and MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome).
A biotechnology company Gilead located in the Foster City of California has managed to come up with some success stories by testing drugs treating coronaviruses in animals. In January, there were reports released stating that a person affected by COVID-19 in the United States has managed to survive after being treated with Remdesivir (the probable alternative medicine).
This February, China has launched placebo-controlled trails on 760 patients affected with Coronavirus by using Remdesivir. The studies are supposed to give out the final results by April and Remdesivir is more likely to be accepted as the alternative drug.