Begum Tabassum Hasan is an Indian politician and a Member of Parliament (MP) from the Lok Sabha constituency of Kairana in the state of Uttar Pradesh. She is a member of the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD). In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, the Kairana seat was won by Hukum Singh who belonged to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). However, after his death in February 2018, a by-election was held for the Kairana seat. In the 2018 by-election, Tabassum Hasan defeated her nearest rival Mriganka Singh of BJP by a margin of more than 40,000 votes. It was a close contest, with most of the votes (~ 97%) going to RLD and BJP. Mriganka Singh is the eldest daughter of Hukum Singh and her loss in the KairanaLokSabhaby-election was attributed to the fact that opposition parties such as Indian National Congress (INC), Samajwadi Party (SP) and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) had joined forces to take on BJP.
Early Life and Education
Begum Tabassum Hasan was born on December 25, 1970 to Akhtar Hasan and Akhtari. She was born in village Dumjhera, which is located in Saharanpur district of Uttar Pradesh. She has completed her educationup tomatriculation level. She was married to Munawwar Hasan on June 26, 1986.
- 2009: Elected to 15th Lok Sabha
- 31 Aug. 2009: Member, Committee on Health and Family Welfare; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment
- 15 Oct. 2009: Member, Committee on Food Management in Parliament House Complex; Member, U.P. Sunni Central Waqf Board
- 2017 – 31 May 2018: Member, Zila Panchayat, Shamli
- 31 May 2018 onwards: Elected to 16th Lok Sabha in a bye-election (2nd Term)
Begum Tabassum Hasan likes to read books in her free time.