(Serves 5 pax)
|500||g||Duck fat from the same duck|
- Clean the duck legs from the excess fat and reserve the same in a pot.
- Place the duck legs in a dish, skin down and sprinkle salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf, and garlic. Cover it and let it rest for 12 hours.
- Add little water to the fat and melt it on slow fire then pass it through a fine strainer.
- After marinating, debone the legs and place them skin down in the fat, so they are fully covered (add some oil if you do not have enough duck fat).
- Heat the fat and let the legs confit at 70-80°C until nice and tender.
- Cut onions in brunoise and confit them separately in some duck fat.
- Remove legs from fat and mash with a potato masher, add onions.
- On an ice bath stir slowly the required fat till observing a nice paste consistency.
- Once done, let it rest for some time in the refrigerator and serve on toast with fresh onion rings.