Let’s face it. Accessing capital to launch and expand a business is one of the small businesses’ greatest challenges. A startup business loan is one excellent way to shore in the capital you require to kickstart your business and elevate it to the next level.
Once you’ve sorted your finances, you can grow your business and improve your returns.
Let’s delve deeper.
What Is A Startup Loan, And How Does It Work
A business startup loan goes into financing the startup expenses of your business. Such costs may include the purchase of inventory, machinery, working capital, or the renovation of business premises.
What Are Some Of The Best Practices For Using A Startup Loan To Grow Your Business?
1. Assess Your Startup Expenses
Tabulate your startup costs. It’s prudent to pursue funding when you’re clear on your borrowing need.
When starting the business, some costs are one-off expenses, while others are recurrent expenses that keep coming up month on month.
Common startup costs:
- Machinery purchase
- Furniture and Fixtures
- IT installations
- Relevant business permits and licenses
- Recurrent expenses; employee payroll, taxes, rent payment
2. Prepare The Necessary Documentation
As a budding business, you may find it challenging to demonstrate historical revenues to prove to the lender that you can repay the loan you’re applying for.
That’s when a business plan comes in handy for a startup.
A business plan articulates how you’ll convert your idea into a viable business. It’s backed up by future sales, profits, cashflows, and when you expect to break even. It expounds on your value proposition in the market and why you believe your idea will fly.
Besides a business plan, here’s what else you require to apply for a loan.
- Business registration documents
- Applicable permits and licenses
- Some lenders may ask for income statements, personal tax returns, and a resume to show your professional competence.
3. Evaluate Your Eligibility For The Startup Business Loan
Next, you gauge if you can qualify for this loan from available lenders.
Although the eligibility criteria vary depending on the lender, you’ll need to pay attention to the following areas:
- Your projected business cash flows
- Your business revenue
- Your personal credit
- How long you have been in business
4. Select An Appropriate Startup Business Loan Type
There are several startup business loans available from financiers. You need to select the loan that’s most appropriate for your startup.
Here are the most common business startup loans you’re likely to encounter;
- A business line of credit
- Equipment purchase financing
- A business credit card
- A credit line builder
How Do You Know If You Need A Startup Loan, And How Much Should You Borrow?
- When the cash you generate from operations cannot adequately cover your operational expenses. The funding gap may be a result of delayed payments from your customers.
- When you need to purchase expensive machinery that will help you improve your production efficiency.
- When there’s a need to upgrade to more efficient technology to retain a competitive edge in the market.
- Rapid growth in the business results in constant huge orders that overwhelm your internally generated cash flows. This would translate to the need to make huge inventory purchases, expand production, or relocate to bigger premises.
- The need to hire highly skilled employees to help the business scale up to the next level.
To understand how much you’ll need to borrow:
- Have a breakdown of your startup costs
- Be realistic in your projections: Don’t underestimate expenses and overestimate profits
- Be frugal by avoiding unnecessary expenses. Focus on essential costs and shun luxury items where possible.
- Forecast your business cash flows
- Settle on an appropriate financing method.
Tips For Applying For This Kind Of Loan
To be successful at applying for startup business loans, ensure you meet the eligibility criteria of the financier.
Moreover, you need to compare different lenders in the market. Check out if they are reputable, accessible, and affordable.
The type of loan you’re looking for will determine what lender you approach. If you’re looking at getting online loans, then fintech lenders will approve and lend you funds at a moment’s notice.
Entrepreneurs who are starting businesses have options of applying for startup business loans to realize their business dreams. Apply for an affordable loan today and translate your business idea into a vibrant enterprise.