Shafiqur Rahman Barq is an Indian politician and a Member of Parliament (MP) from the Lok Sabha constituency of Sambhal in the state of Uttar Pradesh. Shafiqur is a member of Samajwadi Party (SP). In the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, Shafiqur defeated his nearest rival Parmeshwar Lal Saini by a margin of more than 1.7 lakh votes. Shafiqur had contested elections in 2014 also, but at that time he was defeated by Satyapal Singh Saini of BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party). However, things changed in 2019, as SP and BSP (Bahujan Samaj Party) had jointly fought the Lok Sabha elections. As votes of both SP and BSP were consolidated, Shafiqur was able to win the elections with a comfortable margin. Shafiqur has worked for education of poor and backward classes in the society. He has also worked for protecting rights of minority communities including Muslims.
Early Life and Education
Shafiqur Rahman Barq was born on July 11, 1930. He was born in Mohalla Deep Sarai, which is located in Moradabad district of Sambhal. Shafiqur has bachelor’s degree in arts and has studied at Agra University. He married Quresha Begum on March 15, 1948.
- 1974, 1977, 1985 & 1989: Member, Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly (four terms)
- 1990-91: Cabinet Minister, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh
- 1993 – 94: General-Secretary, Samajwadi Party , Uttar Pradesh
- 1996: Elected to 11th Lok Sabha
- 1998: Re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 1998 -99: Member, Committee on Urban and Rural Development and its Sub Committee-I on Urban Affairs and Employment; Member, Joint Committee on the functioning of Wakf Boards
- 2004: Re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha (3rd term); Member, Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice
- 15 Apr. 2009: Resigned on 15 April, 2009
- 2009: Re-elected to 15th Lok Sabha (4th term)
- 31 Aug. 2009: Member, Committee on Labour; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Minority Affairs and Corporate Affairs
- May, 2019: Re-elected to 17th Lok Sabha (5th term)
- 13 Sept. 2019 onwards: Member, Standing Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment
- 09 Oct. 2019 onwards: Member, Committee on Papers Laid on the Table
Shafiqur remains dedicated to social work, especially projects involving education and social and cultural activities.