Hukum Singh is an Indian politician and Member of Parliament from the Lok Sabha constituency of Kairana in Uttar Pradesh. He is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Prior to being elected as a Lok Sabha MP, Hukum Singh had served as a Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA) for seven terms. In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, he defeated his nearest rival Nahid Hasan of Samajwadi Party (SP) by a margin of more than 2,35,000 votes. During his youth, Hukum Singh had joined the Indian Army as a Commissioned Officer and had participated in the 1965 Pakistan War, as a Captain. During his long political career, Singh has focused on resolving farmers’ issues and the planning and launch of various projects related to education and infrastructure.
Early Life and Education
Hukum Singh was born on April 5, 1938 to Shri Maan Singh and Smt. Leelavati. He was born in Kairana in Uttar Pradesh. His educational qualifications include B.A., LL.B. and he received his education at Allahabad University, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. Hukum Singh married Rewati Devi on June 13, 1958. However, Singh is now a widower.
- 1974-77, 1980-89 and 1996-2014: Member, Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly (Seven Terms)
- 1983 – 1985: Deputy Speaker, Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly
- 1985 – 1986: Minister of State, Government of Uttar Pradesh
- 1986-1989 &1996-2004: Cabinet Minister, Government of Uttar Pradesh
- May, 2014: Elected to 16th Lok Sabha
- 9 June 2014 onwards: Member, Panel of Chairpersons, Lok Sabha
- 1 Sep. 2014 onwards: Chairperson, Standing Committee on Water Resources; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Home Affairs
- 29 Jan. 2015 onwards: Member, General Purposes Committee
Hukum Singh likes to write articles on political issues in local newspapers. He likes to read newspapers, magazines, religious books and poetry. He has been associated with a wide variety of social and cultural initiatives. Hukum Singh spends some of his free time on farming activities. He has interests in horse riding as well. He practices Yoga on a regular basis.